You have your eye on the prize, killing every workout, meal timing is perfect, cranking out cardio before the sun rises, and being 110% focused on the task at hand. You feel on top of the world because you KNOW you are owning your prep!! You eat, sleep, and breathe fitness.
But what about your significant other?
Here are 5 tips to help keep your relationship strong during prep:
- Never have important conversations while hungry. As competitors we understand what HANGRY is and how easy it can happen. Save your significant other from this: Eat before you make big decisions or conversations.
- Have a date night once a week and do NOT discuss competing. They deserve at least a few hours without hearing about egg whites, glute-ham tie ins, spray tans, and whether your quad looks better with your toe pointed out. They love you regardless of this “stuff” that doesn’t make sense to them anyway!
- Don’t let them feel left out. If they aren’t a competitor it can be easy for them to feel left out. Make sure you let your hunny know that you appreciate their support. Often as competitors we can get so caught up in our prep that we can take our supporters for granted. Sometimes a simple thank you and hug can go a long way.
- Make time to do things they enjoy. Whether it’s see a movie, sports event, anything! They will appreciate it and hopefully remember it while they are watching hours of tanned, oily, smelly people parade the stage for hours just to watch your 10 seconds of glory.
- Never take yourself too serious. Keep a good sense of humor and remember that while this may be a lifestyle – it isn’t everyone’s. Smothering them 24/7 with your prep details may not be the way to gain their support. Stay true to yourself and keep your loved ones close.